US Soldier Arrested for Supporting ISIS. Mikey Weinstein Silent.
Update: Kang’s court documents unsealed.
A US Soldier was arrested over the weekend after a yearlong operation in which he was alleged to have tried to materially support the Islamic State.
Among the charges was that Kang copied military secret documents in 2015 and wanted to provide them to [ISIS], according to the affidavit. It also Kang says admitted that he voluntarily pledged loyalty to Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.
SFC Ikaika Kang was highlighted to the FBI by the US military:
the affidavit says the Army believed Kang was becoming radicalized in 2016 and asked the FBI to investigate.
While the word “Muslim” does not appear in the article, that is what Kang was radicalized in. His family indicated he’d become interested in Islam during one of his combat deployments.
Kang had previously made pro-ISIS and threatening statements, resulting in the loss of his security clearance. But…
His clearance was reinstated a year later after he completed military requirements.
That detail had some US troops incredulous. They noted a Soldier would get kicked out of the Army for a DUI, so were amazed a Soldier would be retained and even regain a security clearance if he threatened violence and supported the enemy.
Counting Kang, seven US troops have been motivated by their Islamic faith to either attack or plan/attempt to attack the US military. Thirteen additional veterans and civilians have done the same — all but one just since 2007.
In contrast, precisely zero Christians have attacked or attempted to attack the US military because of their faith.
Yet Michael “Mikey” Weinstein claims Christians in the US military are a threat to national security — so much so that he thinks Christians shouldn’t even be allowed to serve in the military.
Yet every single attempt or plan to kill US troops by these troops or veterans was conducted by a Muslim — including at least one Muslim that Mikey Weinstein interacted with before he was arrested. Kind of makes you wonder if Weinstein is concerned with “national security”…or just bigoted toward Christians.
Prior incidents by US troops:
- Army deserter supported Islamic extremism (Daniel Seth Franey, 2016, 10 years on weapons charges)
- Soldier attempted to join ISIS (Hasan Edmonds, arrested 2015)
- Fort Hood attack thwarted, PFC Abdo, two life sentences (2011)
- Shots fired at Pentagon, other military bldgs (Marine Reservist Yonathan Melaku, 2010)
- Fort Hood massacre kills 14 (Army Maj Hasan, 2009)
- Fragging in Kuwait by Army Sgt Hasan Akbar (2003) (death sentence on appeal)
Fourteen civilians or veterans similarly planned to attack or did attack US troops, motivated by their Islamic faith:
- Supported ISIS planned attack (Robert Hester, charged in 2017)
- Advocated terrorism (Mohamed Jalloh, 2016)
- Tried to join ISIS (Tairod Nathan Webster Pugh, terrorism charges, 2016, 35-year sentence)
- Fort Riley attempted car-bombing (John Booker, 2015)
- Chattanooga recruiting center attack (Mohammad Abdulazeez, 2015)
- Execution-style attack thwarted (Abdirahman Sheik Mohamud, 2015)
- Pipe bomb attack thwarted (Jose Pimentel, 2011)
- Remote control airplane Pentagon attack thwarted (Rezwan Ferdaus, 2011)
- Seattle recruiting station attack thwarted (2011)
- Frankfurt airport attack kills 2 US Airmen (Arid Uka, 2011, life sentence)
- Baltimore recruiting center bomb thwarted (Antonio Martinez, 2010, 25-year sentence)
- Quantico attack by Raleigh jihadists thwarted (6 multi-decade prison sentences, 2009)
- Arkansas recruiting station attack by Abdulhakim Muhammad (2009, life without parole)
- Fort Dix attack thwarted (2007) (6 convictions, 4 life sentences)
Also at CNN.