The Interfaith US Military, According to the Huffington Post
The Huffington Post had a photo collection “celebrat[ing] the religious diversity of the military” on Veteran’s Day. Their list:
- US Army Chaplain (1LT) David Frommer, a Jewish chaplain who once wrote about his interactions with Messianic Jews in the military.
- US Army SFC Naida Christian Nova, a Catholic who filed a federal complaint after the Army allegedly refused to relieve her of harassment for her (former) Arabic-sounding name.
- US Army Chaplain (Capt) Thomas Dyer, a Baptist-preacher-turned-Buddhist-chaplain.
- Former Marine Sgt Paul Loebe, an activist atheist who took over for outspoken US Army Sgt Justin Griffith, who has apparently been “ordered” to cease his public comments.
- Retired US Marine Col Doug Burpee, a Muslim who was a fighter pilot with the callsign “Hadji,” which SFC Nova (above) said was pejorative.
- Captain (actually Major) Kamaljeet Sing Kalsi, a Sikh for whom religious waivers were granted from the Army uniform standards.
- Rev. Tony Gatlin, a local San Antonio resident who leads a Wiccan service for Air Force Basic trainees.
- US Rep. Tulsi Gabbard, a Hindu and US Army National Guard Captain.
A commenter on the site wondered why the celebration of diversity failed to include Protestant Christians, the largest faith group in the US military.