NYC Arrest Makes 11 Islamic Terrorists Targeting US Military
The intended targets of Jose Pimentel…were U.S. military personnel who had served in Iraq and Afghanistan, as well as U.S. postal facilities and police stations, according to Bloomberg and Police Commissioner Ray Kelly.
The suspect was described by Bloomberg as an “al Qaeda sympathizer,” though he is not believed to have ever made direct contact with anyone in the organization.
District Attorney Cyrus Vance, Jr., reportedly said
On his website, Pimentel discussed the duty of every Muslim to wage war against the west.
Pimentel would make the 11th recent and ongoing planned or attempted attack on the US military by individuals apparently claiming motivation by their Islamic faith, five of which have occurred this year.
The list of attacks/attempted attacks on the US military by assailants apparently claiming some form of Islamic motivation includes four by US servicemembers:
- Fort Hood attack thwarted (PFC Abdo, 2011)
- Shots fired at Pentagon, other military bldgs (Marine Reservist Yonathan Melaku, 2010)
- Fort Hood massacre kills 14 (Army Maj Hasan, 2009)
- Fragging in Kuwait by Army Sgt Hasan Akbar (2003) (death sentence on appeal)
- Pipe bomb attack thwarted (Jose Pimentel, 2011)
- Remote control airplane Pentagon attack thwarted (Rezwan Ferdaus, 2011)
- Seattle recruiting station attack thwarted (2011)
- Frankfurt airport attack kills 2 US Airmen (Arid Uka, 2011)
- Baltimore recruiting center car bomb thwarted (Antonio Martinez, 2010)
- Arkansas recruiting station attack by Abdulhakim Muhammad (2009, life without parole)
- Fort Dix attack thwarted (2007) (6 convictions, 4 life sentences)