Correction: And Abdo Makes Nine
Previously it was noted the foiled attack on Fort Hood by US Army PFC Naser Abdo made 8 recent attacks or attempted attacks on the US military by people apparently somehow motivated by their Islamic beliefs. That was in error; it is actually 9.
The Air Force Times notes the case of Antonio Martinez, a naturalized US citizen who converted to Islam and now uses the name Muhammad Hussain. Martinez placed and attempted to detonate an SUV-bomb at a military recruiting center in Maryland late last year. Turns out his accomplices were FBI agents, and their bomb was fake.
Assistant U.S. Attorney Christine Manuelian said investigators captured Martinez on videotape, “grinning from ear to ear,” as he armed the phony bomb.
“There is no indication of any remorse, any concern, any nervousness that he is about to go and kill people,” Manuelian said.
Manuelian said that before Martinez tried to detonate the bomb with a cell phone, he videotaped himself saying, “There will be no place for the oppressors. You will feel our bullets.”
Martinez faces life in prison.
The list of nine attacks/attempted attacks on the US military by assailants apparently claiming some form of Islamic motivation includes four by US servicemembers:
- Fort Hood attack thwarted (PFC Abdo, 2011)
- Shots fired at Pentagon, other military bldgs (Marine Reservist Yonathan Melaku, 2010)
- Fort Hood massacre kills 14 (Army Maj Hasan, 2009)
- Fragging in Kuwait by Army Sgt Hasan Akbar (2003) (death sentence on appeal)
- Seattle recruiting station attack thwarted (2011)
- Frankfurt airport attack kills 2 US Airmen (Arid Uka, 2011)
- Baltimore recruiting center car bomb thwarted (Antonio Martinez, 2010)
- Arkansas recruiting station attack by Abdulhakim Muhammad (2009, life without parole)
- Fort Dix attack thwarted (2007) (6 convictions, 4 life sentences)